Euro Pro Operating - Shark Steam Mop Exploded - Unsafe Product

Aug 29, 2010
review #196237

The Shark Steam Mop S3501CO worked well for about 20 uses. It then just quit working or at least we thought it did. With the unit being plugged in for 2 minutes, it must have build up steam under high pressure. The unit literally exploded causing steam to escape from the seams. The unit was extremely hot to the touch.

I've read many similar complaints but have not seen a recall from this company. I reported the incident to the CPSC and recommend that everyone else does as well. Products like these should be pulled off the shelves until rendered safe. I also filed a complaint with UL labs, whom list the unit as safe.

We were lucky not to be injured unlike others.

9c1fccc
Had an experience with Euro Pro Operating?  Submit review ›
Is this your company? Learn about our business solutions
SteamedInLasVegas

Oct 17, 2013

My Shark steam mop also exploded a couple of days ago. I had owned it about 8 to 10 months and had only used distilled water in it. I was lifting it up from having just refilled it and so the steam reached my forearm but just barely; thank goodness. The sound scared me so bad though, I just about steamed myself :grin. I called the number on the Euro-Pro website and reached someone right away. They confirmed there was no recall, but without any hesitation they initiated a replacement unit and sent me a pre-paid label for my mop. I'm not happy with what happened to my mop, but I have no complaints whatsoever with how prompt and courteous the customer service was.

Creegal

Jul 09, 2013

I got a 3rd degree burn on my forearm yesterday...I plugged in the steam mop, I noticed it was leaving water on areas of my floor, so I bent over to touch the mop head and can't believe that I got burned when my arm touched the body of the machine. It was as hot as a *** element...I have missing skin from a broken blister and a blister above and below the missing skin...contacted Canadian Tire head office and was given a file number...they said they take injury reports very seriously...they also asked if I went to a doctor...I said, it's a burn with blisters...no I haven't...Anyways, tomorrow I should hear back from them...I did take photos...and I might go to a doctor because the burn hurts...maybe even just for documentation if i decided to file an injury suit...It's a deep burn and most likely I'll be scarred. I did not improperly use this machine...had no previous problems before yesterday. If the body is that hot...and the floor mop head is cool...something is seriously wrong with this product!

Anon

Jan 26, 2013

Just thought i would let you all know that your so DUMB!
Obv if it is not steaming, dont put your hand where its most hot at.
Second thing is if your using tap water [if you have hard water]
It will obv have a clog , Take care of your unit instead of putting vinager into it wont help it at all. If it ever clogs make sure you TURN OFF your unit and then take a look at it, Call C/S THey can give you tips on how to help that.
*** i call them with the same problem with the no steam, Called them up and it started working again no biggy ! Still is working great.
Take the time to look at your machine to see if their is a clog in it. if you keep pumping it obv your going to break it.

Have a great day.

Melissa

Oct 04, 2012

The same thing happened to me after owning it for about 2 minutes. I bought it today at Kohl's and when I went to use it POP the head came right off. I am so unhappy!

Angry customer

Aug 24, 2012

I had the same thing happen to me. I found that the mop head had clogged and could not get rid of the steam. I replaced the head but it leaks everywhere. :(

Ann Clark

Aug 11, 2012

Same thing happened to me! I thought it was a fluke (burnt my hand, as I was bent over near the mop head, moving an item to mop under). I let the mop cool down and used again the next day and for a few more weeks. Just turned it on to mop my kitchen and...KAPOW! It had been plugged in for about 20 seconds when it burst steam and water out the sides of the tank. I jumped online to see if other were reporting the same problem. Looks like MANY are!

Charlotte Bellan

Jul 15, 2012

My experience was similar to ones mentioned above. I filled the mop with water, plugged it in and within a couple of minuted it made the most horrific sound and steam poured out if every seam of the mops housing. I'm glad I only burned my fingers. I'd only used the unit a handful of times. What a disappointment.

MKR

Jul 04, 2012

Mine exploded last weekend. It's summer so I had shorts on and the steam explosion burned my shin. I have a 2-inch nasty-looking burn on my leg. Happily--it seared the surface of my skin but went no deeper. I was happy my toddler(who liked to push it!) was nowhere in sight. A very, very dangerous product. Back to mops and rags fr me--they don't injure you.

Tom

Jul 02, 2012

My steamer just quit and sprayed steam everywhere. Very dangerous product!

Kate

Mar 25, 2012

I loved my steam cleaner until it stopped working. I had used it earlier in the day. Titled it up to see if I could see anything in particular, then the head came flying off the end, flew across the room and steam came pouring out all over my hands and neck. Lucky didn't get burned too bad. I'm bet disappointed cause this mop was my life saver when it came to cleaning my house. :-(

Sara

Jan 30, 2012

My shark steam mop (model S3501A0) exploded over the weekend. It made a huge pop and the head went flying across the room and hot steam and water came pouring out. No one got hurt but the potential was there...

Very Annoyed

Jan 29, 2012

My mop also just exploded and this is the second one that I have owned, the first one did the same thing. I just assumed I had a faulty mop the first time. Just taken my current mop apart (it's only 4 months old) and the same as dad above its the hose at the top...could be very dangerous particularly if kids are nearby. Loved the mop disappointed in the quality. :(

Dad

Nov 27, 2011

I had the same problem. I took the unit apart and found the tube that takes the steam to the end of the mop split apart in two. Made a huge BANG sound like a gun went off!

Soccer Mom of two

Jan 16, 2011

I had the same problem! I have used it no more than 20 times as well. I plugged it in and within 30 seconds the seams popped and steam came shooting out! I am so thankful my 5 year old wasn't standing next to it. I unplugged it and turned it over and water started pouring out of a new pin size hole in the cap. I will be calling the company tomorrow morning for sure!

0 0 Reply

Great comment! Would you like to convert it into review?

You will be able to edit the text before publishing.

×
You were reading a complaint about Euro Pro Operating.
Filing a new complaint about
×